OS Installation

Home Forums Using vSMP Foundation OS Installation

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Erez 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Ravikumar
    Participant

I’m new to ScaleMP & like to install the vSMP Foundation Free to aggregate the Memory.

I have couple of servers (HP Proliant 460c/RHEL 5.8) which are all on production now.

Should I need to reformat the OS after installing vSMP Foundation Free?

Thanks,
    Ravi

Daniel
    Participant

Hi Ravi,

It is not necessary to re-install the OS after installing vSMP Foundation Free. However, since it is an aggregated system, there will only be one instance of the OS installed. The default is to boot the OS from the HDD attached to the primary node, however it can be configured to boot from any HDD attached to any node in the VM.

Good luck!

Daniel
    Participant

Hi Ravi,

Just a correction to my previous post – with vSMP Foundation Free, it is only possible to boot the OS from the HDD attached to the primary node.

–Daniel

Ravikumar
    Participant

Thanks Daniel.

Jeffrey
    Participant

Hi there, I am new to the ScaleMP Foundation, and was wondering, how would i go all about to installing the vSMP Foundation Free? Do i need to install linux first? then type the code for the repository? of is there a bootable image i can download,

If linux has to be installed first, Which linux o/s would you recommend on installing?

I have a few dual core desktops that are same model same ram specs, etc.

Any help and directions, would be well appreciated!

Jeff,

Erez
    Participant

Hi Jeff,

Any 64bit Linux will do, we constantly test using RHEL and SUSE. Please note that you will need to connect the two nodes using Infiniband (either using an IB switch or using point-to-point connection)

You are invited to read mote at http://www.scalemp.com/products/vsmp-foundation-free/

Andy
    Participant

Hi, I’m also new to vSMP is the backplane (infiniband) a requirement? am I able to install vSMP on a single server running 2 PHI cards?

Thank you

Erez
    Participant

Andy,

The target is to consolidate several physical servers to on virtual machine running on OS. At least two hardware connected with infiniband are needed to create a vsmp foundation free VM.

See http://scalemp.com/spec for certified hardware list

–Erez

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.