ScaleMP Announces Expansion of Its Product Line
Large Memory Configuration and Large Cluster Licensing Option Expand Current Product Offerings
Cupertino, Calif. – January 28, 2009 – ScaleMP, a leading provider of virtualization solutions for high-end computing, today announced the expansion of its vSMP Foundation software to support larger memory configurations and a new large cluster licensing option.
vSMP Foundation aggregates multiple industry-standard off-the-shelf x86 servers (rack mounted or blade systems) into one single virtual high-end system for the High-Performance Computing (HPC) market. vSMP Foundation provides customers with an alternative to traditional, expensive symmetrical multiprocessor (SMP) systems and also offers simplified clustering infrastructure with a single operating system. It currently allows customers to create a single virtual SMP system with up to 32 sockets (128 cores) and up to 1 TB of shared memory in an energy-efficient, dense package.
ScaleMP is expanding its product line by introducing two new offerings targeted at the traditional SMP customers as well as cluster deployments. Some examples of the platforms that are supported by these new product extensions are the DellPowerEdge M1000e Modular Blade Enclosure, HP BladeSystem c3000 and c7000 enclosures, and the Sun Blade™ 6000 Modular System. The new offerings are:
- Large memory support option: This add-on option expands the shared memory capacity to 4 TB of RAM. It allows customers needing traditional SMP systems with large memory requirement to migrate to a virtual x86 SMP platform, significantly reducing their capital expenditures (CAPEX). It also allows existing vSMP Foundation customers to run larger memory configuration with minimal investment.
- Cluster license option: This new value licensing option addresses large cluster deployments where IT managers are seeking to simplify their compute and storage infrastructure. It turns a compute cluster into a fat-node cluster, by reducing the number of managed nodes, while increasing the size of each one. Each of these fat-nodes utilizes ScaleMP’s virtualization technology to run a single operating system with high core-count and larger shared-memory.
“IDC research consistently shows that cluster complexity and limited bandwidth are crucial issues for many HPC users today,” said Earl Joseph, IDC program vice president for technical systems. “The ScaleMP virtual SMP solution, which is being expanded to as much as 128 cores and 4 terabytes of shared memory, aims to alleviate these issues.”
“I am excited to announce the expansion of vSMP Foundation,” said Shai Fultheim, founder and CEO of ScaleMP. “Virtualization continues to drive efficiency and cost savings in the HPC market segment. By extending memory capacity to 4 TB shared RAM as well as providing an attractive offering for large cluster customers; ScaleMP continues to provide its customers with ways to reduce both CAPEX and OPEX.”
“vSMP Foundation coupled with the Sun Blade(TM) 6000 modular system allows HPC users to expand beyond a single x86 node and have most of the advantages of SMP systems, such as large memory and simplicity of operation, while leveraging the economics of x86 architecture,” said Michael Schulman, HPC group marketing manager at Sun Microsystems. “The new offerings from ScaleMP enhance the already strong value proposition for both SMP and cluster type environments.”
“High-performance computing customers with massive workloads can increase business productivity and minimize costs by combining multiple server workloads into a single virtual system,” said Ed Turkel, product marketing manager, Scalable Computing and Infrastructure organization, HP. “The HP BladeSystem platform coupled with the ScaleMP vSMP Foundation software allows customers to more easily manage large-memory configurations on an affordable unified system.”
vSMP Foundation software supports aggregation of up to 16 x86 server into a single virtual SMP system. It provides customers with:
- Up to 4 TB of shared memory for large memory requirements
- Up to 128 cores virtual SMP, with high memory bandwidth
- Ease of use and lowest Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) for applications, with simplified cluster management and storage architecture
- Improved utilization through a centralized and consolidated architecture
ScaleMP is the leader in virtualization for high-end computing, providing maximum performance and lower Total Cost of Ownership (TCO). The innovative Versatile SMP™ (vSMP) architecture aggregates multiple x86 systems into a single virtual x86 system, delivering an industry-standard, high-end symmetric multiprocessor (SMP) computer. Using software to replace custom hardware and components, ScaleMP offers a new, revolutionary computing paradigm. The company is backed by Sequoia Capital, Lightspeed Venture Partners, TL Ventures, and ABS Ventures. For more information, please call +1 (408) 342-0330 or visitwww. ScaleMP.com.
vSMP Foundation is a trademark or registered trademark of ScaleMP. All other brands or products are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders and should be treated as such.
# # #
+1 (408) 342-0330