ScaleMP Announces vSMP Foundation 2.0
Enhanced Performance through Support for Future Intel® Nehalem Processor Family and Enhanced Enterprise Class Features Including Support of Emulex HBAs
Cupertino, Calif. – March 11, 2009 – ScaleMP, a leading provider of virtualization solutions for high-end computing, is announcing version 2.0 of its flagship vSMP Foundation software. This new release offers significantly enhanced performance through support for the future Intel® Nehalem processor family when they become available, and enhanced enterprise class features such as increased high-availability, partitioning of single virtual system to multiple isolated environments, extended remote management, enhanced profiling capabilities to improve application performance and support for Emulex LightPulse® Fibre Channel (FC) HBAs.
vSMP Foundation aggregates multiple industry-standard off-the-shelf x86 servers (rack mounted or blade systems) into one single virtual high-end system for the High-Performance Computing (HPC) market. vSMP Foundation provides customers with an alternative to traditional expensive symmetrical multiprocessor (SMP) systems, as well as simplified clustering infrastructure with a single operating system.
vSMP Foundation 2.0 increases its value to HPC customers in two directions:
- Significantly improved performance: This new release supports the future Intel® Nehalem family of processors when they are available. It allows HPC customers to create a shared memory system with 128 cores and 4 TB of RAM using the Nehalem processors. These systems will be the largest and most powerful x86 SMP systems available in the industry.
- Enhanced enterprise class features:
- Increased high-availability with support for redundant InfiniBand switches in an active-active configuration, allowing automatic failover on link errors (cable) or switch failure. Load balancing is also maintained between the redundant switches, improving overall performance.
- Partitioning of the aggregated virtual system into smaller, isolated partitions, where each partition can run a different operating system. Partitioning support provides IT administrators with greater flexibility and compute resource control with the ability to carve out and reserve a portion of the system for specific departments or applications. vSMP Foundation 2.0 supports up to 8 concurrent partitions.
- Support Emulex LightPulse FC HBAs, providing vSMP Foundation users with additional data center storage area network (SAN) connectivity options. vSMP Foundation 2.0 supports up to 32 LightPulse FC HBAs within a single virtual system.
- Extended remote management capabilities allowing the control of vSMP Foundation across WAN connections.
- Enhanced performance profiling of all system aspects. The full-stack profiling subsystem and tools enable application developers to pinpoint performance bottlenecks associated mainly with application scalability and allow for optimization.
“Emulex LightPulse HBAs combined with vSMP Foundation software provides joint customers with secure, reliable, enterprise class connectivity within the SAN.” said Steve Daheb, chief marketing officer and senior vice president of business development, Emulex. “We are working closely with ScaleMP to provide better performance and expanded connectivity options for HPC and virtualized environments.”
“vSMP Foundation 2.0 is a major milestone for ScaleMP, and again demonstrates the value of our approach to high-end computing,” said Shai Fultheim, founder and CEO of ScaleMP. “In addition to a number of enterprise-class features that were requested by our growing install base, we are also significantly boosting the performance of high-end virtual systems with the support of Intel’s next generation of processors – essentially setting a new performance standard for large x86 systems. Existing customers will be able to leverage the enhanced capabilities of vSMP Foundation 2.0 immediately.”
“ScaleMP takes advantage of the many innovations and performance enhancements built into the Nehalem processor family to deliver significant performance improvements,” said Richard Dracott, Intel Corporation’s General Manager of High Performance Computing. “That improvement in performance combined with the capability of the vSMP Foundation 2.0 to aggregate up to 32 upcoming Intel® Nehalem processors means significant benefits for HPC customers who have large compute and memory workloads.”
vSMP Foundation software supports aggregation of up to 16 x86 servers into a single virtual SMP system. It provides customers with:
- Up to 4 TB of shared memory for large memory requirements
- Up to 128 cores virtual SMP, with high memory bandwidth
- Ease of use and lowest Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) for applications, with simplified cluster management and storage architecture
- Improved utilization through a centralized and consolidated architecture
vSMP Foundation 2.0 is available immediately for certified platforms. Existing customers with active support and maintenance coverage are eligible for free update starting April 20th.
ScaleMP is the leader in virtualization for high-end computing, providing maximum performance and lower Total Cost of Ownership (TCO). The innovative Versatile SMP™ (vSMP) architecture aggregates multiple x86 systems into a single virtual x86 system, delivering an industry-standard, high-end symmetric multiprocessor (SMP) computer. Using software to replace custom hardware and components, ScaleMP offers a new, revolutionary computing paradigm. The company is backed by Sequoia Capital, Lightspeed Venture Partners, TL Ventures, and ABS Ventures. For more information, please call +1 (408) 342-0330 or visitwww. ScaleMP.com.
vSMP Foundation is a trademark or registered trademark of ScaleMP. All other brands or products are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders and should be treated as such.
# # #
+1 (408) 342-0330