vSMP Foundation 3.5 expands hardware support and offers greater on-demand integration and improved performance
Cupertino, Calif. – November 9, 2010 – ScaleMP, a leading provider of virtualization solutions for high-end computing, today announced a new version of its server virtualization for aggregation software platform, vSMP Foundation 3.5. The new release offers expanded hardware support, increased integration for on-demand SMP and improved performance. vSMP Foundation 3.5 breaks performance records as measured by overall system bandwidth and latency, offering more than double the performance for 2-socket systems and four times better performance for 4-socket systems. Additionally, vSMP Foundation 3.5 now integrates with Bright Cluster Manager from Bright Computing.
“The combination of vSMP Foundation and Bright Cluster Manager delivers unprecedented value to customers in need of shared memory computing,” said Matthijs van Leeuwen, CEO of Bright Computing. “Customers can quickly and easily install and manage virtual SMPs from within clusters. With only a few mouse clicks, customers now have the flexibility to enable specific nodes as virtual SMPs within a cluster.”
New features of vSMP Foundation 3.5 include:
- Improved on-demand capabilities – now available by Bright Cluster Manager. On-demand SMP capability provides customers with the ability to run a single cluster infrastructure and allocate a software-based SMP when needed that meets specific size and configuration requirements. As traditional SMP systems cost three to five times as much per processor compared to clusters, it allows customers to improve overall system price and performance by acquiring a large cluster and provisioning virtual SMPs. Virtual SMP provisioning is also supported with Adaptive Computing’s MOAB and IBM’s XCAT.
- 4-socket performance – supporting 4-socket systems of all Tier-1 vendors, includingDell R910, HP DL580 G7 and IBM x3850 X5. vSMP Foundation has been optimized specifically for these systems and can now offer four times better performance. Coupled with the capability to support up to four HCAs per system this version offer tremendous scalability using 4-socket systems.
- Faster cluster performance – MPI offload engine (MOE) enables customers running distributed applications with accelerated performance. While previous versions of vSMP Foundation offered comparable performance to clusters, vSMP Foundation 3.5 provides MPI offloading for certain operations, increasing application’s overall CPU utilization.
“ScaleMP already delivers the world’s largest SMP system using vSMP Foundation technology,” said Shai Fultheim, founder and CEO of ScaleMP. “With more and more customers switching to on-demand SMP, vSMP Foundation 3.5 makes the creation and management of large SMPs even easier – at an incredibly affordable price point.”
vSMP Foundation 3.5 will be available by December 1, 2010. For more information, go to www.scalemp.com or contact email@example.com.
About vSMP Foundation
vSMP Foundation aggregates multiple, industry-standard off-the-shelf x86 servers (rack-mounted or blade systems) into one single virtual high-end system for the HPC market. vSMP Foundation provides customers with an alternative to traditional, expensive symmetrical multiprocessor (SMP) hardware systems, and also enables users to manage clusters under a single operating system. It supports aggregation of up to 128 servers into one virtual SMP system, providing customers with:
- Up to 64 TB of shared memory for large memory requirements;
- Up to 1,024 processors (8,192 cores) virtual SMP, proven scalability and record-breaking memory bandwidth;
- Ease of use and lowest total cost of ownership (TCO) for applications, with simplified cluster management and storage architecture;
- Improved cluster utilization by providing a centralized and consolidated architecture.
ScaleMP is the leader in virtualization for high-end computing, providing maximum performance and lower total cost of ownership (TCO). The innovative Versatile SMP™ (vSMP) architecture aggregates multiple x86 systems into a single virtual x86 system, delivering an industry-standard, high-end symmetric multiprocessing (SMP) computer. Using software to replace custom hardware and components, ScaleMP offers a new, revolutionary computing paradigm. For more information, please call +1 (408) 342-0330 or visit www.ScaleMP.com.
vSMP Foundation is a trademark or registered trademark of ScaleMP. All other brands or products are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders and should be treated as such.
# # #
+1 (650) 947-7400