ScaleMPTM vSMP FoundationTM and PRIMERGY x86 Servers Combine
To Create a Powerful SMP Solution for HPC Systems
Cupertino, Calif. – September 15, 2011 – ScaleMP, a leading provider of virtualization solutions for high-end computing, today announced that Fujitsu has obtained ScaleMP vSMP Foundation Hardware Certification for its x86 servers PRIMERGY RX300 S6 and RX600 S6. The certification enables Fujitsu to provide software-based SMP solutions on Fujitsu’s general purpose x86 servers, PRIMERGY. Additional server models are expected to be added in the future.
ScaleMP vSMP Foundation integrates x86 servers as a virtual SMP system, enabling users to create shared-memory systems with the latest and most cost-effective x86 servers. Now Fujitsu can globally address HPC market needs by PRIMERGY in the form of x86 clusters for modern distributed memory systems and in the SMP solution for shared-memory systems, which support existing large memory and multi-threaded programs.
“PRIMERGY is an ideal server environment for our vSMP Foundation products,” said Shai Fultheim, ScaleMP’s founder and CEO. “Enabling aggregation of PRIMERGY x86 servers opens up more opportunities for Fujitsu to offer customers a robust SMP for demanding, shared-memory requirements.”
Using a combination of x86 servers and vSMP Foundation to integrate servers as a virtual SMP system enables users to build a flexible and high-cost performance SMP system which can meet performance requirements and future expansion, including:
• Integrating x86 servers into one virtual SMP, enabling implementation of a single, high-performance, shared-memory with up to 1,024 CPUs and 64TB of memory.
• A virtual, shared-memory system based on the latest x86 servers for large-scale data analysis, and enhancing performance of existing, multi-thread (OpenMP) applications.
• Using a high-speed InfiniBand network as a system backplane with failover and bandwidth scaling capabilities.
• Automatic system recovery using fault detection and isolation.
• In line with performance requirements, customers can build an optimal SMP system by changing the number of x86 servers.
• An SMP system based on general purpose x86 servers is lower in price, compared with conventional SMP servers.
Certified Fujitsu PRIMERGY Hardware Models:
• RX300 S6
• RX600 S6